[ale] sound and picture

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at dsservices.com
Tue Jan 26 15:32:19 EST 2016

The juice cartons a couple of years back went from 1/2 gallon (64 ounces) to something like 59 ounces without changing the price.   Tropicana was the first to do this and when I complained to Tropicana they claimed they'd done a news release.  I noted that if they'd ADDED ounces they'd have put big flashing letters on the carton itself to highlight the change even if temporary so it was clearly an intent to defraud the public in my opinion.

I had to deal with the change to metric at a job I had back in those days.   Just to make things even more fun for us the government increased the excise tax on alcohol so if you had more than 500 "wine gallons" of alcohol you had to do a one time payment to the government for that excise tax.   Our beverage manager at the time got offered "deals" by various distributors so bought extra not realizing the excise tax would then be due because he'd pushed us over the 500 limit by doing the purchases.   Calculating "wine gallons" is fun because it is the amount of alcohol in a gallon of unfortified wine.  You have to figure out how much alcohol is in each type of beer and size thereof as well as in each type of liquor/liquer and size thereof and convert their "proofs" to percents then add it all together to do the final calculation.   Until I did that I hadn't realized just how many different sizes of things we had in inventory including non-metric and metric.