[ale] Fwd: CarolinaCon talks

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Mon Jan 25 11:25:10 EST 2016

Hope nobody minds a forward here .... many folks here are into security stuff.

I've been going the Carolina-Con for a few years. Always something new to learn
and a fun group of security pros there. Security Cons tend to be very low cost
events and if you've never been, your eyes will really be opened about how
lacking in basic security many/most devices are. If you go, best to disable all
networking on all your devices - phones, tablets, laptops when near the hotel.
Be prepared BEFORE going - make an image of your stuff and leave that here if
you can't turn it off and pull the battery. Definitely consider any network in
the area as hostile.

CTF server-hacking contest on the schedule. Those are always fun. ;)  Find a
buddy and start practicing for this ASAP.

Last year one of the presenters provided free moonshine - always a plus. It was
tasty and I didn't go blind (cannot prove it was that drink). ;)  BYOSG.

The badges sound like fun!  Scott, Mark, Chuck? Going?  Some from DC404 will go
too. Fun times!

Not certain that I'm going - need to check with family in the area first. ;)

-jd