[ale] Cron Management

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at dsservices.com
Tue Jan 19 08:48:11 EST 2016

At a prior job we used what was then called IBM Maestro but when I last checked was called (IBM) Tivoli Workload Scheduler.    It was rather good as a centralized product.  It allowed you to make cross-machine dependencies and specific job dependencies.   If a job failed on one machine but was a dependency of kicking off another it would hold the other job until you had time to repaired the issue that caused failure and released it.   It also had logs I found helpful for troubleshooting various issues.

Another one used at a later job was BMC's Control-M.  I didn't interact much with it myself but that probably means it worked well enough not to cause me headaches.

As you might imagine neither IBM or BMC is going to be cheap but in a large environment it might be worth it.

Here we do mostly Oracle and cron scheduling.   With creative ssh trusts you can have a job on one machine kick off jobs on others.

These days a lot of folks are using things like Puppet or Ansible (which is now owned by RedHart) for central control.  I've not used them but they appear to have scheduling.

I found this list of schedulers at Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_job_scheduler_software