[ale] Alright, it's time to move on from Linode

Jeremy T. Bouse jeremy.bouse at undergrid.net
Fri Jan 8 23:07:07 EST 2016

On 1/8/2016 7:47 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Jan 2016 14:08:23 -0500
> Jeff Hubbs <jhubbslist at att.net> wrote:
>
>> On 1/8/16 1:02 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
>>> Eeeeuuuuuu: "Currently we do not support the importing of or
>>> mounting of ISOs in the panel."
>>>
>>> If you can't get an ISO mounted, how the hell can you ever do a
>>> chroot install?
>>>
>>> I'm copying one of my buddies who uses DigitalOcean.
>>>
>>> SteveT
>> So much for Gentoo hosting, huh?
> It's a lot worse than that. If your Ubuntu or Debian or Devuan or
> OpenSuSE or Redhat stops booting, you can't boot up a DVD, chroot,
> explore, and fix the problem.
>
> SteveT
I get around this little problem by treating my cloud hosts like cattle
not pets... Anything I run in a cloud environment can be shot in the
head and destroyed, then bring up a new instance the automation will
build it back to the exact state. No need to boot up and explore. To
that end I have a salt-cloud map file that lists all my cloud hosts on
the various providers, I can kill any (or all) then fire off reading
this map file and it will restart any instance not currently running
listed in the map file. I can kill the instance, modify the map file to
place it in a different provider and re-run the map file to move it from
one provider to the next.