[ale] OT: it is only me or ... ?

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Wed Jan 6 12:35:48 EST 2016

On 01/06/2016 10:27 AM, Boris Borisov wrote:
> People are starting using the word "open" for everything. Look at this:
>
> https://opensource.com/life/16/1/build-open-hardware-guitar-amp
>
> Something that has been around for years. Amplifier diagram.
>
> Anyone want my "open hardware" cookie recipe ?

Think it became marketing fluff when the "Open Core" stuff started. Then OSS was
hijacked by the marketing people - they decided that "open source" didn't
include the right to modify it, just to look at it.

Look for FOSS or F/LOSS in the software if you want BSD-like (MIT/Apache/Perl)
or GNU licenses. With these licenses, we are free to touch.

Back to Open Core ... software that doesn't work with proprietary software. That
could be a deal ender, since my corporations require commercial DBMS support.
Something they thought was F/LOSS suddenly became $25K per server, so a
enterprise typical deployment would be $200K just for the software parts.
Nothing against having profitable companies paying for support at all or using
the "toy" version for trials which are quickly outgrown. I don't have any issues
with Open Core, provided a mostly usable system can be created with it. Back in
2010, SugarCRM and Alfresco had OpenCore stuff. Certainly there are others.
http://www.infoworld.com/article/2625717/open-source-software/considering-sugarcrm--don-t-fall-into-the-open-source-purity-trap.html
 Don't know if that is still true.  I deployed V-Tiger CRM instead of dealing
with the SugarCRM questions.

As usual, it comes down to the fine print and licenses used.

For example, the new 2016 edition of the Modern Perl book is released under a
"creative commons" license, but 2 different publishers have tacked on their
copyright notices.
* http://modernperlbooks.com/books/modern_perl_2016/
* http://onyxneon.com/books/modern_perl/modern_perl_2016_letter.pdf
* https://pragprog.com/book/swperl/modern-perl-fourth-edition (JS required!)
The license is: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported
License. Which is nice. No DRM allowed according to this:
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/us/