[ale] Today's lesson: rdiff-backup restores

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Tue Feb 23 11:28:05 EST 2016

Don't forget about ZFS zsend to replicate snapshots.

If you really want to be cheap and have a GUI, I setup Back-In-Time on Mom's
system - then scheduled hourly "snapshots" - which are really just rsync +
hardlinks in the old directory area.  The default B-I-T schedule keeps hourly
"snapshots" for 2 days, then slowly removes those, daily, weekly, monthly,
annual.  The target directory structures are YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS/ based and full of
hardlinks for all the identical files.  Removing any YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS/ is safe,
since all the others have their hardlinks to the real data.  OTOH, if there is
data corruption on the disk, then all those hardlinks are useless.

Gave a presentation about this 3-4 yrs ago at ALE-NW, if anyone is interested,
let me know and I'll dig it up.  In my mind, B-i-T is best for end-user backups,
not system backups (there are issues running it as root - nothing hard for
Jim-like people, but ... )