[ale] How can I get hostnames on a very temporary LAN?

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Fri Feb 19 19:40:09 EST 2016

DNSMasq using all the defaults plus a custom hosts file is probably one
of your fastest ways.  Set up your router as just an access point (turn
off internal DHCP), hang your laptop off one port and run DNSMasq on the
laptop.  It will respond to DHCP requests on the network and then you
can assign it to be the authoritative DNS server and leave the router as
a router (DNS and routing don't have to be on the same machine).