[ale] How can I get hostnames on a very temporary LAN?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 09:33:59 EST 2016

Bingo! And then set dhcp to provide the dns server as itself and magic
ensues.

The clients may or may not know their own name. Linux stuff is set by
default to use the dhcp name unless set otherwise. Windows has a name set
up during install and doesn't adjust from dhcp without very special control
changes using expensive management tools. I prefer using a 3 lb engineers
hammer. It's my go to tool for windows.