[ale] How can I get hostnames on a very temporary LAN?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 08:59:50 EST 2016

This sounds like you want to have the local only network use dhcp for IP
and hostnames. See the link for a quick howto on the dhcp side

http://www.ingmarverheij.com/configure-hostname-via-dhcp/

Now you need to get those name/ip pairs into a usable format. As JD said,
pushing an /etc/hosts file will work. DNS will also work. You can setup a
dynamic DNS service that couples with the dhcp service so when clients get
an IP, DNS gets updated with their name and address. See this link for
ideas:

http://www.dnsknowledge.com/tutorials/centos-tutorials/bind-9/howto-setup-dynamic-dns-ddns/

Will all of this run on the tiny router? Maybe. I vaguely recall OpenWRT
supporting this. Tomato probably does as well. Optionally, use an old lap
or desktop as DNS/dhcp server and set the wireless router to passthrough
dhcp to it.
For a special purpose I'm going to have a Netgear router not connected to
the internet for local communications using DHCP.  I'll have a server
connected via Ethernet and clients using mostly WIFI. I've seen times where
in similar setups something assigns a host name to the server.  In those
cases, I can connect to the server via a host name rather than an IP
address.  I'd like to do that for this situation.  I can't seem to find the
right words to get a search engine to tell me how.  I'm not running a DNS
server.

I'm thinking the server might be advertising the name but I don't really
know how it all happens.

Thanks,
Jim.
See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at