[ale] kde question

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Sun Feb 14 09:54:29 EST 2016

On 02/14/16 09:21, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
> As I said, this gets weird.
> as root, running yum install gets me this:
>
> Package 7:kdepim-4.10.5-4.el7.x86_64 already installed and latest
> version
> Nothing to do
>
> If I run find <find / -type f -name kdepim -print> *

That 'find' will only find something with exactly the "kdepim" name.
That is seldom what you want.  Try
$ find / -type f -iname \*kdepim\*
instead.

> I get this message, which makes no sense:
> find: ‘/run/user/1000/gvfs’: Permission denied

gvfs push temporary mounts in strange places. If there isn't anything
there, it isn't owned by your userid. That all the error means. Safe to
ignore.  I'm not a fan of fake-mounts, like gvfs uses. Boooo for not
following standards - like shouldn't 'df' show the gvfs mounts?  It
doesn't. Plus gvfs is slow, really, really, slow.

> Which I am guessing means it couldn't look in that (empty) directory for
> some unknowable reason so it quit.
>
> so I ran yum remove, which worked, and then ran yum install, which
> worked.  Still can't find the damn executable.

Names of programs don't need to match package names.  Certainly
rpm/yum/whatever has a way to get a list of files and locations from the
package name?  In theory, there should be a new menu entry after the
install.

> then read through the man file and tried this:
> find / -type f -name kdepim -path ./run/user/1000 -prune -o -print *

Good idea, but forget exact matching.  Programs tend to be install into
/usr/bin/ or /usr/X11/bin/, IME.

>  but I obviously do NOT have the syntax right because the output listed
> every file on the box -- I think because I couldn't scroll back up to
> the beginning of the list -- buffer isn't that big!

Either redirect the output to a file or pipe through more/less to page.
 If you want both, use 'tee'.

> * NOTE:  the syntax for the FIND command is amazingly complex.  And the
> INFO file appears to be only a copy of the MAN file. No help there. And,
> of course, in keeping with Linux docs, there are no examples of how to
> do things.

Agreed. Not just complex, but EXTREMELY POWERFUL (and dangerous).
Web Search: "Linux find examples"

Mastering 'find' is worthwhile.

Another option is to install 'locate' and use that, but locate has a DB
that gets rebuilt daily or weekly, so if you want to use it immediately
after a package install, updating the DB is required.

Come out some Sunday and we can get into 'find' to almost any level you
want.