[ale] I'm totally stumped with an ssl connection error

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Sat Feb 13 17:36:08 EST 2016

I help maintain a site to support the Georgia Amateur Radio Emergency
Service.  Last week it started tossing an ssl connection error,
ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR after having run with (almost) no issues for
months.  I'm running apache on Ubuntu server.  It's a virtual host along
side of another ARRL site.  I'm forcing it to use SSL via

RedirectPermanent / https://gaares.org/

In the apache2 configuration file.  I was running with a certificate
from China, like Wofat or something but it was failing with FF, so I got
a Comodo cert and installed it, however the error started happening a
few days before I did that.  I thought maybe a new cert might help but
it doesn't.

Here's the rub.  I have 3 computers running Linux, two with Mint, one
with Centos.  I also have Windows 10 running in a VM.  All the Linux
boxes work fine with Chrome and FF.  Edge works fine on W10. My LG phone
fails.  My friend has tested IE 11, Edge and Linux Chrome, they all
fail.  Linux FF works fine for him as does Safari on his phone.

There are a few others that have reported the same issue.

I have restarted Apache, rebooted the server and tested the DNS, the SSL
and looked at blacklists using various tools I've found on the web.
Everything I do tells me the site is healthy.  I've exhausted my
knowledge and am appealing for help.

Google gives me page after page of how to fix it by tinkering with the
browser, but I can't figure out how multiple people can have browser
issues at the same time.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Jim.