[ale] Bacula backup gathering?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 15:32:03 EST 2016

"back in the day" I hacked up something like this using rsync and
cygwin to provide a hot copy of the autosave area of windows client
machines to a Linux server. The client was a heavy document producer
and all win systems were set to autosave every 5 minutes. I had the
backup tool set to run every 5 plus one minutes with a custom MS Word
launcher that started the clock on the backup tool. So every 5 minutes,
word would autosave what they had open. One minute later it was synched
to a remote machine. If a client system failed, they could log onto any
other system in the building, run the restore process and launch MSWord
and be where they left off less the max last 5 minutes. When the day
ended, the logout would trigger a final sync and a collapse of the
incrementals on the server.
I have no idea where that code went. Probably on a zip disk somewhere.
On Fri, 2016-02-12 at 13:00 -0500, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
> Best, easier, how-to: https://www.kirya.net/articles/backups-using-rd
> iff-backup/
> Use the "pull" method for greater security.
>
> On 02/12/2016 12:18 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > My sip server (running on an ARM board with SHDC card) died the
> > other
> > day; the SHDC card failed in an unrecoverable way.  Alas, I didn't
> > have
> > a backup!  Luckily I had my previous sip server around, and this
> > one was
> > created relatively recently so I MOSTLY remembered what changes I
> > had to
> > make so it only took me a day to recover.  HOWEVER, I would like to
> > figure out a good way to backup the rest of my systems.

James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/