[ale] programming question

Michael C Martin mcm30114 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 10:47:20 EST 2016

While all this is very true (c'mon, this should be a well documented pattern / anti-pattern somewhere on the internets) .. How about this one -- use a FONT that is optically meant for easy visual discrimination of letters and numbers. Bonus -- font is easily scannable for image recognition. EG: Automotive VINs. Maintaining upper case only helps too.

OCR fonts have been out for years. We just have to get "label manufacturers" to put these kind of specs / requirements in the design doc prior to any label scanning.

Alternative #2 -- use a high density digital coding (data matrix codes, Semacode) and then just use our smart phones to read and repurpose. Wait.. We all do have smart phones, right?

Giant Mike

Sent from my iPhone