[ale] Monitoring Total Household Electricity Consumption

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Tue Feb 9 17:09:51 EST 2016

<Admaral Ackbar> It's a trap! </Ackbar> Assuming a 100 amp service, 100 * 240
V = 24000 watts or 24 kWh. Half of that, 12 kWh * $6.53 = $78.36. Very
unlikely you would ever hit that max, but I could get close with a welder
and a couple of other high amprage loads going at the same time.

If you have a good idea when your load is highest, a clamp on amp meter
should tell you all you need to know. Anything other than peak is irrelevant
to your math. But sounds like a fun project and I'm curious what others will
suggest!

William