[ale] Ouch. Stay away from proprietary technology.

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Sun Feb 7 09:39:14 EST 2016

Positive.

One of my credit cards had been used to purchase an iPhone in NYC (a physical
purchase) then later the same day a $400 iTunes gift card in Miami. Odd thing
was, that credit card is one I only use overseas, so it hadn't been used in the
USA for a few years. The last time it was used was in Argentina. Plus, I've
never been into either of those cities (airports yes, cities, nope).

The caller had a normal, midwestern, US accent and was extremely apologetic that
Apple had been involved with this. I wasn't very nice since Apple is on my list
of companies to never give any money (don't like many of their business
practices). The Apple rep was nothing but professional to me. I left the call
with a slightly higher opinion of corporate Apple, but still never plan to give
them a penny.

Contacted the fraud team at the CC bank and they removed those charges, closed
the CC and re-issued a replacement in a 5 min call. It was oddly easy. Dealing
with companies who actually assume I'm not a liar is a pleasure. The next CC
statement reflected all of this - charges, removed, with a "fraud" comment.