[ale] Ouch. Stay away from proprietary technology.

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 12:31:24 EST 2016

The key bit is this:

"The issue appears to affect handsets where the home button, which has
touch ID fingerprint recognition built-in, has been repaired by a
“non-official” company or individual. It has also reportedly affected
customers whose phone has been damaged but who have been able to carry on
using it without the need for a repair."

I don't think it's a crybaby, "you didn't let us fix it", thing. It seems
pretty clear from that description of the problem that Apple is trying to
prevent tampering with the fingerprint scanner, i.e. it's a security thing.

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 11:26 AM, Charles Shapiro <hooterpincher at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Apple bricks phones repaired by unauthorized shops.
>

> http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/feb/05/error-53-apple-iphone-software-update-handset-worthless-third-party-repair?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
>
> -- CHS

James Sumners
http://james.sumners.info/ (technical profile)