[ale] useful!

Lightner, Jeffrey JLightner at dsservices.com
Fri Dec 16 15:13:55 EST 2016

No I always still do it that way:

If you know the exact command is better if you run:
yum provides “*/semanage”

Otherwise you get a bit of a grep effect and might get a whole plethora of matches (e.g. for the semanage man page) that you aren’t looking for at the moment.    For semanage itself probably not a lot but there are somethings that might drive you mad because of all the hits.  Imagine if you were looking for a command called "ion" - it would match citation, limitation, lamentation, ionize, etc.....   Putting "*/ion" would only match a file called ion.   (Of course if there were multiple such files of that name provided by different packages you might see multiple matches of unrelated executables but it would still be a more manageable list.)