[ale] upgrading to ubuntu yakkety

Todor Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 13:13:01 EST 2016

On 12/01/2016 03:45 PM, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
> On 12/01/2016 02:01 PM, Todor Fassl wrote:
>> I don't understand why I can't update a ubuntu 16.04 to ubuntu 16.10 via
>> typeing "do-release-upgrade".  Ubuntu 16.10 isn't what's called a
>> development release, is it? Maybe do-release-upgrade works only on
>> ubuntu server? I am indeed running ubuntu desktop.
>

> Is the 16.04 system fully patched?

Well, I think so. If doing a 'apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade' says
no packages were installed, that is fully patched, right?

I can update to yakkety via "update-manager" but I am blind and some
parts of it do not work with the screen reader.  I am sure the people on
this list understand how someone might perfer a command line tool anyway.

I think the ubuntu documentation is unclear on what a development
release is. There is ubuntu 16.04.1 and then there is 16.10. Is either
of those a development release? What is the proper name for a release
like 16.10 which is not LTS?