[ale] upgrading to ubuntu yakkety

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Thu Dec 1 17:52:44 EST 2016

On 12/01/2016 05:22 PM, Phil Turmel wrote:
> On 12/01/2016 02:01 PM, Todor Fassl wrote:
>> I don't understand why I can't update a ubuntu 16.04 to ubuntu 16.10 via
>> typeing "do-release-upgrade".  Ubuntu 16.10 isn't what's called a
>> development release, is it? Maybe do-release-upgrade works only on
>> ubuntu server? I am indeed running ubuntu desktop.
>
> 16.04 is an LTS release.  do-release-upgrade on LTS versions will only
> upgrade to the next LTS.  In this case, presumably, 18.04.

There is a setting somewhere in the package manage stuff which allows only LTS
--> LTS upgrades. With 16.04 that was made the default for LTS releases.

Found an answer on AskUbuntu.com ...
https://askubuntu.com/questions/125612/update-manager-doesnt-offer-an-upgrade-to-the-new-release

gksu software-properties-gtk
Tab to "Updates"
Last item in the list - notify me about new relases ... make it "for any new
release"

Then you should sudo apt update ; sudo apt upgrade ; reboot if needed, then sudo
do-release-upgrade