[ale] [OT] Strange wifi latency issues

Ted W. ted-lists at xy0.org
Tue Aug 23 08:43:54 EDT 2016

I recently upgraded my network from a WRT54G running OpenWRT to an X86
PC with a 4 port GbE NIC running PFSense and a Ubiquiti AC Lite AP.  Since
the upgrade I have been experiencing intermittent latency spikes peaking
between 5000ms and 10000ms lasting for anywhere between 3 and 5 minutes.
There seems to be no regular interval that I can determine as my wife has
reported these issues during the day and I've experienced them firsthand
when I get home from work.  Some days I will see several in the course of
an hour or two and other times we'll go days without seeing it a single
time.

I was curious if anyone here has seen similar behavior before and might
be able to provide some clues as the it's source.  Originally I thought
that this issue was related to my ISP but a ping test against my local
gateway shows that it persists when communicating with devices on the
same local network.  The last set of tests I ran to determine that the
latency existed on the local network was done while connected to the
wireless.  By the time I finished testing from the wireless last time and
got down the basement to try while plugged directly in to the PFSense
box the latency has subsided.  It has not re-appeared since (about a week
now).

Aside from confirming whether the latency persists on the wired network,
what other steps should I take?  Are there any settings on either the
PFSense box or the Ubiquiti AP that could cause this?  Perhaps some
confirmation conflict between the two devices that I'm not seeing?  One
thing I should probably also mention is that this issue persists across
devices.  We usually notice the latency spike occur while watching
Netflix on the living room TV (a Samsung "smart" TV) and I can confirm
the latency on both my personal and work laptops as well as my phone.
All of these devices are connected to the same SSID.  I have not tested
it from the guest SSID.

Thanks in advance for any information or advice.  This issue has been a
real pain in the arse.  Finding a solution here would make for a happy
household once again.

-Ted