[ale] [OT] Cell phones

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Thu Aug 18 17:02:46 EDT 2016

Just for fun I'm going to jump into this pillow fight.    I mean no
disrespect to any of the opinions stated here.

Regarding longevity:  My original HTC Incredible is, what, 7+ years old
and will still power up.  I would still be using it, but for the 4G and
free upgrade to the HTC Incredible2, which is now... 5 years old and
still running fine, in spite of having dropped it face-down in the rain
whilst biking through a part and coming back for it 30 minutes later.

IMHO, a big factor in longevity is using a clip-on holster instead of
shoving it in your pocket.   Folks that stuff it in their pocket end up
racking the frame and circuit board on a daily basis.  If they don't
break the screen that twisting force has to eventually hurt.

Regarding batteries: I cannot buy a new battery from HTC.    Most of the
replacement batteries available on Amazon are counterfeit.  Honestly
Counterfeit, i.e. the SN# on the labels are all identical, and were
copied off a very old batter.    The ones that have worked for me are
Mugen Power.  They are dependably new batteries and perform like it.

Then again, both of my Kyocera Palm phones still power up and would work
if need be.

Regarding Carrier:  A crucial question is where you expect to be?
Verizon works out in the sticks.    You will have coverage at Humbolt
State park 4 hours north of San Francisco in the campground with the
redwoods.   You will have coverage at LutherRanch, off I-20 near the AL
border.    You will have coverage in the Florida Keys 5 miles out on a
boat off Key Largo.   The other folks with you will NOT have coverage
their on the GSM phones.   Maybe that is important to you, maybe not.
OTOH, maybe international coverage via GSM is more important to you.

Regards,

Neal