[ale] [OT] Cell phones

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 12:13:48 EDT 2016

Jobs sold sh*t to the stable boys. Ritchie built shovels.

On Thu, 2016-08-18 at 12:07 -0400, Charles Shapiro wrote:
> > > Heh. I never understood why Steve Jobs got such a beeg obit, but
Dennis Ritchie's death went pretty much unmourned except for
technical people.
> -- CHS
>

> > > On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 11:47 AM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > <total snark mode rant>
and very slim, tiny middle finger at first. At a later point when
it won't do what you want or they drop support for your hardware is
when you realize the proctologist has inserted both arms past the
elbow, 2 assistants and a small boat with oars.

Linus Torvalds. Apple sells a mix of heroin, crack, lsd and meth to
hipsters who don't want to think about what they are buying.

die). Linux kicked back at Microsoft until they had to capitulate
and back down. But Apple has managed to do the "embrace and extend
and extinguish" far better that Microsoft ever did. I often wonder
how wel the developers of FreeBSD sleep at night knowing that Apple
usurped their work, made billions, and won't support it. Google
does the same but at least they pay lip service to "giving back"
(GSoC and several notable kernel enhancements and many tools
they've made available).  Apple is open-sourcing some stuff (swift
most recently) but only to attract developers (away from android).
Apple did fight the decryption order but from a business standpoint
and not from a purely logical (all backdoors will get p0wned) and
ethical standpoint (users own their stuff, 5th amendment, etc).

have for over a decade. I can do anything I want to. My hardware
belongs to ME. My software is vetted by people I trust (and know
some personally) and I can see all of it and participate in the
direction of the development.

anyone would want to use the lesser quality tools that only exist
to suck out information about the user for later resell and use the
funds from users to strip away rights from those same users until
the only thing a user is is a cash spigot.

> > </end rant mode>

need a workflow they are comfortable with. Just really loath all
things apple. Even their logo is missing a byte.

> > > 5 years now. My reasons are:
> > >
> > >  * Better security OOB than an Android phone

> > > unlocked, Nexus phone.

> > > years ago. I've heard thing have improved but have no first hand
> > > experience to speak from.
> > >
> > > These are my $0.02,
> > > Ted

Looking at the