[ale] Super Micro woes - Middle riser not working

Lightner, Jeffrey JLightner at dsservices.com
Thu Aug 18 12:12:27 EDT 2016

Good question.   If only there were a document that answered it.

There IS a document for mobo at Supermicro's site but it goes into scant detail regarding risers which is why I asked about documentation for the riser.     I spent a fair amount of time reading the mobo document on Sunday.

The riser we have appears to be this one (based on my memory form this weekend - server is at QTS Suwanee and I wouldn't be able to take it offline to inspect now anyway):
https://www.supermicro.com/a_images/products/Accessories/AOC-2UR8N4-i2XT.jpg

What you can't see in the picture is the 2 white jumper blocks it shows are actually labeled as PCI but there is no document that says I need to put a jumper in one or the other (or that says I don't) because there is no document on the riser.

The BIOS does have settings related to 5 PCI slots but the mobo document doesn't really detail what they mean nor does it tie the 5 PCI slots to the physical system so it is always possible they are 5 slots on the base board itself rather than any of the slots in the risers.   Since it has 4 slots in the right riser and the BIOS setting has 4 that are the same and 1 that is slightly different for giggles I did actually try adjusting the one that was different but all that did was make it think I wanted to kickstart it on next boot.