[ale] OT: Google Fiber has arrived in Atlanta

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Thu Aug 11 11:00:49 EDT 2016

On Thu, August 11, 2016 10:46 am, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
> On 08/11/2016 10:40 AM, Chuck Balog wrote:
>> If you live in Sandy Springs, AT&T GigaPower may be available.
>
> Just be certain to get a full VPN so they don't look through all your
> traffic (included in their ToS) using DPI.

Yes, there is that, too.

I suspect that a GRE tunnel (or IPIP tunnel) is not sufficient to thwart
their DPI.  Then again if you have to VPN everything then you're kind of
defeating the purpose of having Gig-speed low-latency network because now
you have a secondary bottleneck that could be tens or hundreds of ms away.

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745