[ale] Reformat LUKS drive

Jim Kinney jkinney at jimkinney.us
Tue Aug 9 14:23:29 EDT 2016

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/<drive in dock no partition number> bs=512
count=1024

Or,

cryptsetup erase /dev/<drive in dock>

On Tue, 2016-08-09 at 13:54 -0400, Edward Holcroft wrote:
> Hi,

seems I am unable to remove the LUKS partition. When I connect it to
my computer (using a USB dock) it requests the password, which I no
longer have. But that's OK, since I don't want to mount it or access
the data, I just want to blow everything away.

new Linux partition. However, as soon as I reconnect it to my
computer, it shows up as a LUKS encrypted partition again, and wants
a password.

encrypted partition. In addition to fdisk I tried luksFormat to see
if I could create a fresh encrypted partition and go from there, but
that did not work either.

> ed

WARNING/CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message may be confidential
and/or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please
notify the sender immediately then delete it - you should not copy or
use it for any purpose or disclose its content to any other person.
Internet communications are not secure. You should scan this message
and any attachments for viruses. Any unauthorized use or interception
of this e-mail is