[ale] Encrypted USB flash stick

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Sat Apr 30 15:39:19 EDT 2016

I ran out of space on my keychain USB drive so I grabbed a 128GB from Frys. I encrypt these. I have a method that might be strange.

1. Create 2 partitions. One is only 512MB in size and is vfat. Other is ext4.
2. Using cryptsetup I create the device.
3. Format the device ext3/4.

On the first partition I store the PDF of the web page with instructions on how to create an encrypted partition, mount it, etc.
No where I store the password.

My odd thought is if I died someone would see the doc, figure out what I had did, and then mount it. They would need to know my password.

For this 128GB I think I'll make that sda1 larger so I can store a Ubuntu 16.04 iso image, Syslinux, and my bootable system. Use grub2 to boot one of those options. The rest is encrypted for my backups.