[ale] OT: Linux jobs

Todor Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 11:16:30 EDT 2016

Huh, I wonder why they want to hire an immigrant so badly. [I was born
in the USA, btw. Todor is the Eastern European version of Theodore.]

The last 3 job openings my department had we filled with candidates
considerably less qualified than we'd have liked. But I work for a state
university and the pay scale sucks. The very last position we filled had
what I thought were totally unrealistic qualifications. They wanted
someone who could manage a VMware cluster, a HPC cluster, and help the
office staff with their Excel spreadsheets. I told the chair of the
search committee that anybody with those qualifications who'd be willing
to work for what we pay must have something wrong with him. His response
took me a little by surprise, "Well, what's wrong with you?" I had to
point out that I am blind, I don't know if it just slipped his mind or
what. It is nice when that happens. My immediate supervisor, who had
been my boss for about 10 years, once handed me a printout saying
something like, "Wow, look at this, you won't believe it." Anyway,
somebody did apply for the job who had all the qualifications and was
willing to accept the pay we were offering. And he really does knowall
that stuff. He just turned out being such a bozo personally that they've
given him his notice.

When I got hired, they asked the same thing of me. With all your
qualifications, why are you willing to take this job. I was lucky I put
it tactfully enough. I said, "As a blind person, I realize my options
are limited. No matter how good I am, a lot of people just can't get
past that." Just like in the video below, if you don't want to hire a
disabled person, there are ways.