[ale] LTS doesn't always mean LTS

Todor Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 14:00:13 EDT 2016

I mentioned that I switched my department from debian stable to ubuntu
sts just recently (like one year ago). We are an academic department and
I thought I could upgrade all of the workstations twice a year, during
winter and summer breaks. I sure have had a lot of problems with ubuntu
sts though. Maybe it would have been better to try debian testing instead.

I wonder if my end-users are regretting nagging me about out of date
packages. Probably not, the problem I mentioned that began this thread
effects only the shared workstations. Nobody "important" uses them.

On 04/27/2016 09:55 AM, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> On 4/27/16 8:22 AM, James Sumners wrote:
>>
>> If you're willing to use a moving target, then go to the source and
>> use Debian's testing tree. Or Arch. Or Void. Or, and I can't believe
>> I'm saying this one, Gentoo.
>
> And remember that you can choose to have Gentoo move as little as you
> want, although if you really want to run a museum piece you'll need to
> maintain your own distfiles repository; they do prune out really old
> versions of packages.

Todd