[ale] Spam: Re: LTS doesn't always mean LTS

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 11:49:58 EDT 2016

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 11:37 AM, DJ-Pfulio <DJPfulio at jdpfu.com> wrote:
> Being "supported" is a major consideration for me. If many of the pkgs
> that I use (and I'm not a pkg whore) are not, moving to another distro
> is the easiest solution.  Of course, then the question becomes whether
> "supported" really means anything on the other distros too.  Cannot say
> today.  On RHEL - adding epel ... does that break the same stuff?

I use epel on all of the systems I manage. The nice thing about epel
is they specifically do NOT add packages that are maintained in the
base OS repositories, and everything is linked against the base
environment. And the epel locks the major version of their packages
once the repository leaves "beta". They also issue errata that can be
tracked and managed via Satellite.

--
James Sumners
http://james.sumners.info/ (technical profile)