[ale] Lab Workstation Mystery

Todor Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 14:00:54 EDT 2016

I verified that if you log in and then just log back out immediately,
those same 4 processes remain running, systemd, sd-pam, ibus-daemon, and
ibus-dconf. I don't have a plain ubuntu 15.10 system handy but I'll bet
it does the same thing. Anybody have a machine like that? Login at the
console, log out, ssh to the machine as another user, and see if there
are any processes still running for the user who just logged out.

I tried switchng a machine to use gdm instead of lightdm, no joy.  I
think I'm logging in via gnome. I can try unity too.

I think it's a systemd issue. In fact, I think it's a "feature" of
systemd. It messes up autofs though.

On 04/20/2016 12:31 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> Anyone using screen, tmux or nohup?
> On Wed, 2016-04-20 at 11:52 -0500, Todor Fassl wrote:
>> I posted about this problem a couple of weeks ago and still have not
>> figured it out. The problem is that on a group of machines running
>> ubuntu 15.10, after a period of time, mounting home directories via
>> NFS
>> hangs. Attempting to mount or unmount home directories via NFS
>> simply
>> hangs. Eventually, the root filesystem getsremounted read-only and
>> the
>> machine becomes unusable even as a local user. One thing I've
>> discovered
>> since my first post about this is that when end-users log out, some
>> processes do not get killed off. The automounter can't umount the
>> home
>> directory because the user still has some processes running.
>> Eventually,
>> the machine has several home directories mounted via NFS for users
>> who
>> are no longer logged in. I am thinking that what is happening is
>> that
>> eventually this causes NFS to get wedged which in turn leads to the
>> kernel freaking out. Or something. Here is an example of the output
>> from
>> listing the processes for a user who has logged out:
>>
>> # ps -u enduser1
>>       PID TTY          TIME CMD
>>    101794 ?        00:00:00 systemd
>>    101795 ?        00:00:00 (sd-pam)
>>    103049 ?        00:00:00 ibus-daemon
>>    103057 ?        00:00:00 ibus-dconf
>>

>> So frequently, even though a user has logged out days ago, the
>> systemd
>> and ibus-deamon might still be running. I am thinking after enough
>> time,
>> these things mess up the nfsv4 kernel module which eventually messes
>> up
>> the kernel itself.
>>
>> But why would logging out *not* killoff all of an end-user's
>> processes?

Todd