[ale] Lab Workstation Mystery

Todor Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 13:39:17 EDT 2016

On 04/20/2016 12:25 PM, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
> On 04/20/16 12:52, Todor Fassl wrote:
>>
>> But why would logging out *not* killoff all of an end-user's processes?
>
> Detached processing? Putting jobs into the background.
> I use it all-the-time, so that disconnects do NOT end long-running
> processes.

Yes, but these processes are things like systemd and ibus-daemon.  They
are not some program the user deliberately ran in the background.
Actually, since I posted my earlier message, I found documentation on a
file, /etc/systemd/logind.conf, that my provide the answer:

# man logind.conf
[...]
        KillUserProcesses=
            Takes a boolean argument. Configures whether the processes of a
            user should be killed when the user completely logs out
(i.e. after
            the user's last session ended). Defaults to "no".

            Note that setting KillUserProcesses=1 will break tools like
            screen(1).

WTF though?