[ale] Optomi

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at dsservices.com
Tue Apr 12 09:51:23 EDT 2016

I shouldn’t think it is your business what your agency makes.   You should base whether you take a job on the offer made to you.

Some companies do:
1) Use contractors rather than employees

2) Do contract to hire so they don’t have to be bothered with “firing” a new employee that doesn’t work out.   They simply end the contract.  If you work out they convert you from contractor to employee.

3) Use specific agencies for contracting and/or recruiting.

My current job (10+ years) was contract to hire.   The 2 jobs I had before that were both pure contract.   The job I had before those went through a rec recruiting agency but was direct hire.

There are definitely predatory headhunters that aren’t really there to help you but rather get info from you but by and large most of the agencies I ever dealt with were in business to try to match a person with a job.    Since they are recruiters they often don’t have the expertise in IT the folks they’re speaking to do but I’ve never minded helping to educate them.