[ale] [OT] Recommendation for emergency prepaid cell plan with SIM card

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Tue Sep 29 15:45:49 EDT 2015

I have a month-to month family plan with T-Mobile that includes two lines for the base price of 50-60/month (I don't recall exact details off-hand) with unlimited voice text and data, though the high speed is limited to 2gb per month, then throttled. They have recently started giving you credit for unused high speed data for up to six months, I believe, though.
Any additional lines after the first two are 10/month.
They also allow you to add a tablet that has radio hardware for a nominal charge. It think you get 2gb of h/s data included.
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> Byron Jeff <byronjeff at clayton.edu> 9/29/2015 3:06 PM >>>
Hi,

I'm hoping to take advantage of the collective wisdom of the list. My
daughter's cell phone isn't charging. Fixable, but right this second she is
wandering around without any means of communication.

I have a working, and I believe unlocked, HTC Aria that takes a SIM.

Criteria:

1. Cheap. The cheaper the better. Factor in SIM price.
2. USA texting. Unlimited preferable.
3. More data the better. However, even slow (EDGE, throttled) data will work.
4. BYOD. I need another device like I need another hole in my head.

and the most important:

5. Can get a SIM card and set it up today if possible.

So far I'm leaning towards a Ready SIM. SIM is included. $55 gives you a
month of unlimited talk/text and 2.5GB of 3G/4G data on AT&T's network.
Unfortunately I have not located a 30 day package that I can buy off the
shelf.

Any suggestions for such a SIM on AT&T or T-mobile's network welcome.

Thanks.

BAJ

--
Byron A. Jeff
Associate Professor: Department of Computer Science and Information Technology