[ale] Xfinity Modem -- lease or buy recoomendations

Byron Jeff byronjeff at clayton.edu
Tue Sep 29 14:23:31 EDT 2015

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 01:04:42PM -0400, H P Ladds wrote:
>      2.  Do not call standard comcast cutomer service. Also the self
>      install
>      capture gateway is somewhat dodgy. Comcast modem activation number
>      is
>      [1]1-855-652-3446. Call them after hooking up your equipment and
>      they can
>      activate and verify your equipment.
>
>    This likely will be a huge help -- thanks
>
>      4. Pretty much all the wireless gateways are terrible. You are much
>      better
>      off buying a wired gateway, then adding your own wireless router
>      behind it.
>      I settled on an T-Link Archer C5.
>
>    That's the plan. Happen to know is this model allows port mirroring
>    (aka plays well with Wireshark?)
>
>      Give these rules of thumb, your best bets are the Motorola SB6141 if
>      you do
>      not need telephone and the Arris TG722G retail if you do.
>

>    This too is a big help. Mind me asking... what makes the TGT722G beter
>    for a no phone application?

You mean the SB6141? Price. NIB the SB6141 is about $40 cheaper. Plus it's
available over the counter if you really wanted it today.

BAJ

>    Thanks
>
> References
>
>    1. tel:1-855-652-3446

Byron A. Jeff
Associate Professor: Department of Computer Science and Information Technology
College of Information and Mathematical Sciences
Clayton State University
http://faculty.clayton.edu/bjeff