[ale] Xfinity Modem -- lease or buy recoomendations

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Tue Sep 29 11:23:40 EDT 2015

On 09/29/2015 10:51 AM, Scott Castaline wrote:
> I felt the same way until yesterday when I got a text that we had
> reached 90% of our 300G. In researching our usage I found that up until
> July we used less than 60G. Our household has jumped from my wife and I
> to 9 people in mid August, so our numbers started to increase rapidly.
> After going round robin with sales and support we found that they are
> giving you a 3 month grace period where they will not charge more. (The
> actual wording was that for every month you go over you get 1 month
> overage N/C). After that it's $10 for every 50G extra. They are also
> rolling out a trial no cap in Nov. for $39.99 over our current package
> which is the extreme (105) staying in the residential service. From what
> what I could see that is close to what I'd pay for the bundled business
> package. We currently have a 3 pak so I don't know what the equiv would
> be in the business side.

3-pak?  Is that "triple-pay"?

Residential addresses can't get TV over the same cable as the business
ISP. It is a utility commission thing. Roughly, business connections
provide 50% less bandwidth for the same price as a residential plan.

Don't forget that today is 9/29 - just a few days shy of the month. But
check your billing cycle dates to be sure.

Comcast phone service is VERY expensive at $30/month - about 3x more
than reputable VoIP services. I pay $5/month with free inbound calling.
Email off list if you want to know more.

I'd have a household meeting to discuss the current situation and come
up with a solution, especially if these are adults.

$10 might not be a big deal if the house is full of adults.  If kids are
causing the huge bandwidth use - that is a completely different thing,
IMHO.  Many routers have time of day limit controls that can be enforced
by MAC.  I'd want to know exactly what the traffic was.