[ale] RAID card for home use?

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Tue Sep 29 10:07:01 EDT 2015

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 09:30:11AM -0400, Michael Trausch wrote:
> That's all I am going to day. My reasons are already published in the
> list archives, and I am not willing to engage in more argument. It's
> solid, the perceived kvm problem has a two second fix, and
> backup/restore is a breeze. Supports growing and shrinking while
> online and across devices, like zfs but more flexible.

I don't think anyone would argue that btrfs doesn't have many desireable
features, but the overriding concern is over reliability and robustness.

Anectdotally, btrfs has eaten my filesystems twice, light loads, plugged
into UPSes.

Once was an out-of-space-with-2/3rds of the disk free, the other was
just a random reboot to install an updated kernel.  Both times upon
rebooting the filesystem refused to mount, and during the fsck process
it ate itself so badly that it was less work to re-install than to
attempt to recover.  I'm just glad that /home was an NFS mount.

Granted, the most recent time was two years ago, but I don't have
a spare sacrificial system these days.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^