[ale] Xfinity Modem -- lease or buy recoomendations

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at dsservices.com
Mon Sep 28 14:11:41 EDT 2015

If you’re not doing the whole Xfinity X1 thing (TV, phone and internet) then buying your own is the way to go.

I bought the Motorola Surfboard long ago and have saved myself the monthly rental for years.  That was for DOCSIS 2.0.   After they went to DOCSIS 3.0 I bought the Motorola one and have been using that for about a year with no issues.   If you only have to buy the modem once every 10 years like I did the ROI over renting makes perfect sense.

I’ve heard but can’t prove that you can even buy the all in one X1 device yourself.  I don’t use them for phone so haven’t needed one.