[ale] Xfinity Modem -- lease or buy recoomendations

Scott McBrien smcbrien at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 13:32:00 EDT 2015

I bought a Moto Surfboard a few years ago. No problems.  In fact, Comcast was good (imagine my shock) at working with me to set this up.  After hooking it up, I called into their customer support number, was routed to tech support, told them what I was doing, and after reading some data off the modem, they had me all up and going.  It took 15-20 minutes.

Woot! Sometimes has some refurb surfboards, but new they're not so expensive, maybe $50-70.  I use my own WIFI AP hardware, so I didn't get an integrated unit.

I had a problem with my APs going belly-up with bad power supplies every year, but now everything is on an UPS, so it and my modem is power conditioned.  Haven't had any issues since I made that change.

-Scott