[ale] RAID card for home use?

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Mon Sep 28 08:47:55 EDT 2015

On 09/28/2015 08:06 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> Be certain to get raid capable sata drives! Home user and "green"
> drives throttle back and appear as a dropped drive.
>
> That AOC will ONLY work in a supermicro system. The slot is PCIe but
> the components are on the wrong side. Allows for good cooling in a 1U
> system with 2 cards stacked, 1 normal on top and 1 AOC. The AOC slot
> is always in the same plane as the motherboard and faces up.

Should work in a normal desktop PCIe x4 slot - use the "last slot". Not
a big deal if you don't have an add-on GPU. For me, the on-board IGP
from Intel CPUs is more than I need.

Can't speak for servers.  I haven't physically touched a server since
the 1990s.

Plus it is NOT a RAID card, so if that is mandatory, you don't want this.
OTOH, Linux SW-RAID is very good and with a quality JBOD card like this,
throughput is exceptional - unlike with many on-board SATA ports.
I have a Core i5 MSI MB that barely breaks 30Mbps in RAID1 and another
G3258 Gigabyte MB that easily does over 100Mbps for both desktop drives
and USB3 connected disks.  For media and backups, USB3 is fine, IME.