[ale] RAID card for home use?

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Mon Sep 28 07:43:03 EDT 2015

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 12:14:06AM -0400, Raj Wurttemberg wrote:
> Valid point... I guess adding one more drive for RAID5 won't break the bank.
> haha!
>
> LSI Logic 9270-8i....
> - Amazon: $565
> - eBay: $160

I can't honestly speak for the LSI cards' robustness and Linux support,
but another option is to go with a 3Ware card.  Their Linux support is
top-notch.

For example, you can get a new 3Ware 9650SE-12ML for $70 on ebay, and
that includes one breakout cable. Their newer 9690 and 9750 cards are
better, especially if you're going full RAID6, but are more expensive.

But if you're not going RAID5/6, using a fancy controller will buy you
better manageability (and in the case of RAID1 you'll always be able to
boot), at best the performance will be the same vs the onboard
controller.

(I've been using 3Ware cards for about 15 years now; a 9650SE-16ML is
 currently powering the system I'm sending this from.  I've not had a
 single controller-related failure with these things))

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^