[ale] VM for WAN connection?

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Sat Sep 26 12:23:13 EDT 2015

On 09/26/2015 12:02 PM, James Sumners wrote:
> Finally got the motherboard in for my home router project. While thinking
> about how I want to do it, I had a thought about the connection to my ISP.
> I'm wondering if it is worth it to isolate that connection in a VM? The VM
> would still be hosted on the "router" system, and the traffic would still
> have to be routed back to the host OS.
>
> Any opinions? Sound plan or redundant overkill?

Edge routers need to be separate, dedicated, devices with nothing else on them
but routing (and network management stuff like QoS and firewalls). Any added
complexity is asking for a failure that compromises security.

If you want an internal router that includes the kitchen sink, using a VM is fine.

IMHO.