[ale] Origins of Linux, do we care?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sun Sep 20 12:49:59 EDT 2015

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 11:00:51 -0400
DJ-Pfulio <DJPfulio at jdpfu.com> wrote:

> >> https://github.com/voidlinux/documentation/wiki/Installer-Partitioning
> > all I had to do was rerun the install, change it to DOS
> > partitioning.. logged in now as me.. now, to get MATE working..
> >

> And what happens to the space over 2TB you'd like to use?
> Or the 20 other upgrades that GPT provides over MBR partitioning?

On a laptop, it will be awhile before disks get bigger than 2TB, and
hopefully by that time efi's kinks will be ironed out and good eif
documentation will be plentiful.

On a desktop, what I did was use a 256GB SSD as /, and mount often
written directories like /var, /home, etc on big (4GB, GPT formatted)
spinning disks. So I boot with MBR without wasting space, and get
pretty fast retrieval of all the programs in /usr/bin
and /usr/local/bin.

Booting MBR doesn't preclude you from GPT partitioning your disks, it
just precludes you from GPT partitioning the disk you boot to. And it
precludes secure boot. Bummer :-)

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust