[ale] Origins of Linux, do we care?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Sep 19 18:42:50 EDT 2015

On Fri, 18 Sep 2015 13:00:12 -0400
James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 11:16 AM, leam hall <leamhall at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > systemd bothers me at a visceral level
>

> I am moving to Void Linux[1] for my personal projects specifically
> because of it.

I might be also. I'm experimenting with it right now. Specifically, I'm
alt-initting it with Epoch, just as a rehearsal to alt-initting a
systemd distro with Epoch. On Void Linux, X fonts are a little grainy,
but I've solved that before on other distros.

Regarding making Void my daily driver, I need to make sure there are
packages for most of the stuff I need, and that there's not some
horrible thing about it. Then I'll probably go ahead and switch over.

I was going to wait for Devuan to become stable, but now am beginning to
think the Unix Philosophy adherance of Void might be just what I need.
And Void doesn't simply continue to init with sysvinit: It inits with
the superior runit init system.

By the way, the Void Linux IRC channel is #xbps on Freenode, and an
excellent summary of the xbps package manager is at
http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=package-management .

> First up, my "router" build. Then my VPS instance and
> my HTPC. I will have to deal with this systemd crap at work when I
> eventually have to use RHEL7, but I will not continue to use it
> outside of work.

:-)

By that time I'll have instructions on how to alt-init Redhat.

Of course, for the same reason they make you use Redhat, your employer
probably won't let you alt-init Redhat.

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust