[ale] Centos 6 system on HP Pavillion - NIC chip appears to be going south - options?

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Mon Sep 14 18:01:32 EDT 2015

Thank you to both Michael and Jim for useful replies.   Now it starts to
get weird.

Here is the configuration that has worked for years, but started acting
up:

        AT&T Uverse router -> LAN port
                Sonicwall TZ190 Firewall Router
                        LinkSys 10/100 Workgroup Switch
                                Centos 6 HP Pavillion - couldn't see
        Sonicwall
                                Windows 7/10 Dell Optiplex -
        intermittently could/could not see Sonicwall
                                Dell Laser Printer - neither system
        could print.
                                Other stuff

I lost any connectivity to/from the Centos box on Saturday and rebooted
several times and got it back each time temporarily.

Attempting to isolate, I have re-jiggered the wiring temporarily:

        AT&T Uverse router -> LAN port
                Sonicwall TZ190 Firewall Router
                                Centos 6 HP Pavillion - can see
        Sonicwall
                                Windows 7/10 Dell Optiplex - can see
        Sonicwall and Centos
                                Win 10 Acer notebook - can see Sonicwall
        and Centos
                                Dell Laser Printer - All workstations
        can print to it.
                                LinkSys 10/100 Workgroup Switch
                                    Other stuff

And the Centos box has been connected with no interruptions since.
Everything seems to work.

My suspicion has shifted to the LinkSys 10/100 Workgroup Switch.    Got
to think about how one tests non-managed switch.