[ale] Routers, VRRP, and DHCP

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 09:11:50 EDT 2015

I have an issue where my DHCP traffic, along with logging, is at a minimum
doubled. This is due to the router configuration. There are two routers, a
primary and a failover. The failover is handled via VRRP. And that's as
much as I know about that configuration.

The issue is that both routers are handling DHCPDISCOVER messages, which
leads to duplicate, simultaneous, conversations. This ends up working in
that the client gets a single IP and can use it. But I don't like the
double talk and logging.

Has anyone else dealt with this before? What do you do to resolve the issue?

--
James Sumners
http://james.sumners.info/ (technical profile)