[ale] [Fwd: Advertising on ale.org] - OT MS vs Apple vs Linux/UNIX

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Sat Sep 12 20:56:50 EDT 2015

On Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 05:12:25PM -0700, Alex Carver wrote:
> So, in theory, I could tell systemd it can start up services that I
> create and define using only the tools/software that I want even if it's
> available with a built-in module and then never touch them again no
> matter what unless and until I invoke a stop/start manually?

Absolutely.  Though you may want to configure your services to
auto-restart upon a crash or something like that.  Or not.  It's your
call.  :)

On a personal note, systemd allowed me to get rid of several highly
brittle hand-written init scripts and some rc.local stuff, plus a nasty
manually-invoked-via-a-screen-session mess that was necessary because
the PHP-based service didn't have access to the necessary POSIX APIs to
properly daemonize itself.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^