[ale] [Fwd: Advertising on ale.org] - OT MS vs Apple vs Linux/UNIX

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Sep 12 12:25:57 EDT 2015

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 07:42:48 -0400
Solomon Peachy <pizza at shaftnet.org> wrote:

> > When a salesman implies that I have no choice, I walk away. It's the
> > only prudent way to handle the situation, to prevent the salesman's
> > words from becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy.
>
> I also find this attitude particularly hilarious, because, in
> general, the "alternatives" (eg BSDs) are even worse by the same
> criteria that makes systemd supposedly so awful.
>
>  - Solomon [let popcorm commence!]

Find me one "alternative", except for Upstart, that does anything more
than act as PID1 and run a process manager. The criteria that makes
systemd supposedly so awful is that it subsumes huge portions of the
operating system (udev, su, initramfs, and who knows what else).

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust