[ale] systemd talk from July has slide deck online now

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Sep 9 18:37:37 EDT 2015

It was a proprietary version I wrote back in 2001. Still in use on the older devices. It manages TTYs, reaps children,
executes a single rc script at boot which starts all programs, reads not from /etc/inittab but from a shared memory structure in ram with config. It also has no concept of run levels. None needed.

PID 1 is a very simple concept and can be written for fun. The busybox version just works. Instead of it reading shared memory for config it will read /etc/inittab. That file is built or modded by rcS at boot and then busybox init will re-read it. This is primarily to disable or enable a modem or getty on serial port. This device also has not concept of run levels. None needed.