[ale] Dropbox, Transporter, Bittorrent Sync, Owncloud, oh my ..

Edward Holcroft eholcroft at mkainc.com
Wed Sep 9 13:40:34 EDT 2015

+1 for owncloud. I put it on an Ubuntu medium instance on AWS as a Dropbox
replacement for my company. Been using it for a couple of months now and
all's good. Users find it easy.

Resilience: For data resilience I had hoped to put the data on S3, but
that's not so easy on the free version. I haven't been able to figure it
out, so using plain old EBS. Have not tried any type of high availability
setup so cannot comment on that.

As a simple standalone for our need of quick and dirty secure file
transfers to clients on a system that we "own", it works. Only gripe I have
is that every upgrade replaces all the config files, so be sure to back up
your customizations first.

ed

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 1:19 PM, Mike Martin <mcm30114 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been wrestling with the TRANSPORTERS from CONNECTED DATA for a
> while.  The concept is  -- a personal "Dropbox".  You control the media and
> the physical devices, you have clients on all your devices that connect to
> the "service" and supposedly all stays in sync with the world.  That was
> the idea.
>
> The only "Creepy" part of the service is that they (Connected data) had to
> maintain an external management website and connection proxy to allow for
> the management of the devices, and to have a "dyndns" like service for
> connection endpoints to know how to connect to the servers correctly.  You
> had to register as a user with their portal -- whether you owned a device,
> or if you wanted someone to share, so there's this concept of them keeping
> a LDAP on all potential users of their solution.  Not too happy about
> having someone else having any ability to be able to connect to my content
> if there was a security breach (not if .. when..).
>
> Connected Data has since refocused and gone upmarket. They are now
> concentrating to move to the SMB space, and are de-emphasizing the Consumer
> space.  I expect that its a question of time before they bow out of this
> space completely.  So, I'm looking for an alternative.
>
> Benchmark is Dropbox.  I want to be able to have a synched data folder
> across multiple platforms (mac, win, linux).  So far, I've put a finger on
> OwnCloud, BitTorrent Sync. Protection, access, synch resiliency, and manage
> my own infrastructure is key.
>
> So, I'm looking for some suggestions -- to either adopt or avoid -- for
> this "personally managed cloud sync service".
>
> Options for data health (NAS drive units for endpoints) would be welcomed
> as well (using a Drobo 5N now).
>
> TIA for your advice.
>
> Mike

Edward Holcroft | Madsen Kneppers & Associates Inc.
11695 Johns Creek Parkway, Suite 250 | Johns Creek, GA 30097
O (770) 446-9606 | M (770) 630-0949

--
MADSEN, KNEPPERS & ASSOCIATES USA, MKA Canada Inc. WARNING/CONFIDENTIALITY
NOTICE: This message may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not