[ale] OT: Laptop as desktop

Dustin Strickland dustin.h.strickland at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 16:43:06 EDT 2015

Seconded on the docking station. A lot of decent refurbished Dell Latitudes
on the market currently, I have an E6420 with a 2760QM, Quadro NVS 4200M,
8GB of RAM and a 250GB HDD I picked up on Ebay for about $300. another $25
for a dock. I can't speak for Lenovo or HP docks but Dells are really cheap
at the moment. I'm not sure what your use case is, but I'm currently
running Fedora 22 with a Un-Server 2008 R2 VM. Quad displays, each OS
having 2 displays. It is a very comfortable setup and quite cheap, also
without too much of the headache of tracing back ACPI events. I wouldn't
rule out a docking station; since you're going to be making use of external
monitors anyway why not have the laptop display as well?